How motherhood has changed me

I hope you are having an amazing summer so far! I’m a firm believer that anyone will change when you reach a certain stage of life – no matter what age you are, whether you are a child, an adoslescent or an adult, the way how you look at life changes. And I think it’s completely natural, it’s a part of life.

It’s no surprise motherhood has changed me in profound ways. Now, I’m not talking about body changes, fatigue, sleep deprivation or the likes or dislikes of being a parent, I’m talking about my personality and even my perspective on life. It has completely changed in unexpected ways and I didn’t realize it until my family told me so. The way I talk, the way I react..some are good, some are so-so (but hey, we’re all perfectly imperfect right?). Anyway, here are some ways on how motherhood has made me put things into perspective.

1// straightforward

I’m more straightforward in expressing my opinions. I speak up more than I did before. If I don’t like something, I’d say it. And this is something very new to me. When I was younger, my parents taught me not to say something in a direct way — it’s something Chinese people don’t do, it’s impolite, we (Chinese people) just don’t like these kind of straightforward conversations.

2// patience

I never thought I could do this, but I’m able to cultivate more patience (unless situations get really out of control). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have bad temper issues before I got Aiden, but I could get easily annoyed when things didn’t turn out as planned. Now, I’m more flexible, I have learned to count to 5 so I won’t reach the limit of my patience that quickly.

3// honesty

This goes often with #1. Being straightforward means I’m being responsible and honest. It’s like speaking the truth, telling how I think, how I feel. To me, being honest is also a way of showing my respect to others.

4// less judgemental

I admit, I hate how judgemental I can be sometimes. And the truth is, we, human beings, are judgemental even though we don’t like to admit this. When it comes to parenting, it’s also natural to have thoughts about other people’s parenting methods if they are (slightly) different from your own. I can still remember that moment when I was pregnant, I saw mothers who let her kids eat with their hands, eating food off the floor or allowing co-sleeping and I was like: I’d never ever do that to my child, nope, never in a million years. Now, I want to take back my words. Being judgemental makes you and others unhappy and let’s be honest: it wouldn’t add any value, right? So why not being more loving? Be gentle and accept that everyone has a different parenting style. Since I experience this myself, I’m less jugdemental, I focus more on Aiden’s needs than having an opinion on others.

What is the one thing that changed your perspective on life (once you became a parent)?

H&M dress
Keds sneakers
Céline bag (similar here)
Daniel Wellington watch
Cinco necklaces

July 17, 2018 / 10:14 am

Thank you so much for your comment Dom! It means a lot to me! :) Hope you are having an amazing week! xx

1. Jodie July 17, 2018 / 2:46 pm

I love hearing these changes that have happened, Vivian!!
    You wouldn’t realize that having a child could do all of these things, yet maybe that’s why mother’s are so wonderful?
    XOXO
    Jodie

July 26, 2018 / 11:40 am

Thank you so much for stopping by Jodie! Truly appreciate it :) I couldn’t agree more, it’s amazing how kids can and do change the world!

July 26, 2018 / 11:44 am

Yes! Patience is key to everything! Thanks for stopping beautiful! x

2. Jenny July 17, 2018 / 10:23 pm

It sounds like motherhood is really positive. I can’t wait for that phase of my life to start, especially after reading this. I also hate how judgemental I can be sometimes but as you said, we’re all human.

Jenny | localleo.co.uk

July 26, 2018 / 11:47 am

Thank you so much for stopping by Jenny! Means a lot to me! Yes, motherhood may sound a bit scary at the beginning, but I can tell you, I’m more me than I’ve ever been before. Being a mom is something wonderful and it made me a better person too.

July 26, 2018 / 11:53 am

Hey Tina! Thank you so much for stopping by again! I love reading your comments :) Yes, patience is key to everything :) Hope you are having an amazing week! xx

3. Jessica July 21, 2018 / 4:50 pm

As a mother of two, I couldn’t agree more! This is so on point dear. Motherhood really builds your patience. ha! Anyway, your dress looks so pretty on you dear.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

July 26, 2018 / 12:07 pm

Thank you so much Jessica! I truly think I can learn a lot from you. Wish we lived closer so we could chat about motherhood and style! xx

July 26, 2018 / 12:09 pm

That’s very kind of you, thank you so much Heather! xx

4. Katya July 22, 2018 / 8:12 pm

As people say, changes has it pros and cons. But motherhood is no question the best blessing anybody can have in the world. This is such an inspirational post.

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

July 26, 2018 / 12:11 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Being a mom is something wonderful and it makes me a better person too. Hope you’re having an amazing summer so far Katya! x

July 26, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Indeed! It makes me a better person, M! Hope you’re having an amazing week so far! xx

July 26, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your thought with me! Means a lot to me, May! :) xx

5. Kara July 24, 2018 / 9:44 pm

I loved reading how you’ve changed from motherhood! I don’t have kids yet but it’s something I’ve always wanted in life and I’m excited to see how it will change me too. Also I love this outfit! The ruffles on that dress are so pretty and fun.

x Kara | http://karascloset.net/

July 26, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Aww that’s so sweet of you, thanks Kara! Yes, I’ve changed a lot since I became a mom. It’s not always sunshine and rainbows, but I’m more me than I’ve ever been.