3 things you should know before wearing stripes

When you hear the words “spring” and “fashion (trend)”, what is the first thing that pops into your head? Pastels? Denim? Florals? For me, it would be polka dots and stripes. Yes, these fun prints are my favourite spring trends. I find myself buying these every single year and to be honest, I’m still looking for the perfect polka dotted or striped item (or maybe this is just a bad excuse so I can buy more haha). Polka dots and stripes are a classic, they never go out of style and they can give your outfits that specific WOW factor.

Excited about these trends? I feel ya. But before you start your polka dots/stripes shopping spree, there are a few things I would like to share with you about..stripes. I’m not a pro, but as an enthusiast shopaholic throughout the years, there are a few things I have learned when wearing stripes.

1. Vertical, diagonal, horziontal

When it comes to stripes, they come in all sizes and shapes. Speaking about shapes, we all know horizontal stripes increase volume and vertical stripes elongate the frame. But how about diagonal stripes? Well guys, diagonal stripes tend to make you look slimmer. Say what? Yes! Diagonal lines highlight the areas where you want them to look slimmer. Woohoo!

2. Narrow stripes vs. wider stripes

Don’t know what stripes suit you best? Ok, here’s the thing: if you are petite, stick to the narrow stripes. If you are tall, opt for wider stripes. Thin stripes also make you look slimmer, particularly navy blue or black lines. Wide stripes, in fact, make you look wider. I always go for stripes that are no wider than 4-5 cm.

3. Body type

You probably know this already, but anyone can wear stripes. Whether you have a rectangular, pear shaped, apple shaped, or an hourglass frame, anyone can pull off stripes. As for my figure, I would consider myself pear shaped. And this is not something I’m always very proud of, I have a love-hate relationship with it..but ok, I just have to deal with it. As my hips are wider than the upper part of my body, I’d opt for vertical stripes as bottoms. This will elongate my lower part of my body which is good as I’m not tall either. I won’t wear horizontal trousers or skirts as they will increase volume to my hips.
However, if you are an hourglass type, do wear horizontal striped skirts or shorts as they will add definition to your hips. As for the upper part, go for a plain top. If you are wearing a striped dress, good for you! But don’t forget to cinch your waist..you just don’t want to lose your waist, do you? For an apple shaped body, I would recommend wearing vertical or diagonal tops. If your striped top has a waistband, perfect! Tie it around your waist to create the “illusion of having a waist”. For a rectangular shape, try to avoid vertical as they can make you look more rectangular-ish (if that makes sense). Horizontal stripes will do just fine.

Alrighty, that’s it for today! I hope you found these useful.
Would you wear stripes this season?

H&M dress
Zara sandals
Céline box bag (similar here)
Ace & Tate sunglasses

April 18, 2018 / 10:25 am

Thank you so much Rubi! Hope you are having an amazing week! xx

April 18, 2018 / 10:27 am

Thank you so much babe! Happy Wednesday :) xx

1. Andrea April 18, 2018 / 11:45 am

Years ago I found out an article saying vertical stripes are better for smaller sizes. Life changing. I didn’t know why I didn’t like how stripes t-shirts usually look on me, until I realize I was wearing the wrong ones!

Andrea/

April 23, 2018 / 7:13 pm

I’m glad to hear you found this post useful! :) Happy Monday! xx

2. Kathrine April 18, 2018 / 7:48 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous in this dress!

April 23, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Ahh you make me blush! Thanks Kathrine! Have a great day :) xx

3. jane April 19, 2018 / 8:06 am

I definitely believe this things when it comes to wearing wipes.
    I always wear stripes vertically so i will look longer and thinner

Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

April 23, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Hahaha me too! Have a great start to your week! :)

4. notjessfashion1 April 19, 2018 / 8:24 am

These are really great tips dear! Never heard about diagonal stripes making me look slimmer, but that actually makes sense in terms of optical illusion. Time to buy more diagonal stripes! Ha!

Anyway, you look absolutely gorgeous on your striped dress dear.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

April 23, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Whether they are vertical, horizontal or diagonal stripes, I believe they all look amazing on you Jessica! Have a great start to your week :) xx

April 23, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Ahhh thank you so much dear! xx

5. karasclosetblog April 19, 2018 / 5:59 pm

These are all great tips on wearing stripes! Stripes are my favorite pattern to wear. I never knew that diagonal stripes have a slimming affect. I going to have to keep that in mind next time I go shopping. Also I love the dress that you are wearing!

x Kara | http://karascloset.net/

April 23, 2018 / 7:23 pm

Ahh you’re the sweetest, thanks Kara! This dress is from H&M, bought it a few weeks ago! But I’m sure they still have it! x

6. coatandcoffee April 19, 2018 / 6:52 pm

Yes to stripes! I love vertical ones because they really do their job to ‘elongate’ your silhouette. I have a pair of pants like this and everyone always comments on how tall I look. Loooove it.

-Emily http://www.coatandcoffee.com

April 23, 2018 / 7:29 pm

Yay to vertical stripes!!

April 28, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Awww thank you so much for stoppin by Bea! Truly appreciate it :) Would love to, but I’m not active on Bloglovin to be honest! xx

7. stylewich April 21, 2018 / 6:51 am

Oh, I adore stripes and polka dots! I have to restrain myself from buying every striped tee and polka dot blouse I see. :P I didn’t know the tips about stripes and I will be sure to archive them in my mind when I am feeling the urge to buy more stripes. I think you look stunning as usual and I am drooling over the color of that beautiful handbag.

xo Elizabeth | stylewich.com

April 23, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Hahahah I know exactly what you mean Liz! I have a weak spot for stripes and polka dots too! :p As always, thank you so much for your lovely comment! x

8. Emily April 22, 2018 / 9:59 am

Who’d have known there’s so much to know about stripes eh!? Thanks for the tips – I’ve learnt a lot! I definitely didn’t know different heights looked better with certain stripes!

Musings & More

April 23, 2018 / 7:36 pm

You’re welcome Emily! Glad you found it useful :) xx

April 23, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Thanks Dom! Glad you liked this post :) And thank you @ bag! It’s one of my favourite bags :)