4 reasons why you should try slow travel

Remember my friend whom I have known for 10 years?  Three weeks ago, Cindy came to visit me in the Netherlands and as she only stayed here for 5 days, we decided to go on a day trip to Lille, France. I’ve never been to Lille, even though it only takes 2,5 hours from Amsterdam. Perfect for a girls’ day out.

It was incredibly cold that day. I believe it was -4 degrees and all the shops were closed (it was Sunday). But it didn’t ruin the fun! In fact, we were glad that the shops were closed (say what?! Yep, you read that right. These words are really coming out of a shopaholic’s mouth!). The younger me of 10 years ago wouldn’t have accepted this, but the older me finds it totally fine. As I get older, I really want to spend more time with my loved ones, go offline from time to time, take things slow, eat well and enjoy slow travel.

Here are 4 reasons why you should start doing slow travel as well:

1. Choose quality over quantity. Taking a vacation is not about constantly jumping from one place to another or planning plentiful activities on a single day… Instead, choose something you really like, choose a place you really really want to visit or do that activity that you’ve been wanting to do for the longest time. That’s all that matters, no?
2. Enjoy! You’ll be able to see more, explore more and most importantly, you’ll enjoy more. Believe me, it will be a memorable experience.
3. Slow down. Have you ever had the feeling that you need another vacation right after coming back from one? Well, I’m guilty of this too. We live at a hectic pace and sometimes we really need to take a break from our daily routine. So why not taking things slow while you are on vacay? It’s good for your health, mind and body, too!
4. Spontaneity is key. I used to be a massive control freak. I always wanted to plan out everything in details, even when I’m on vacation. But now I’m more like, why not doing something spontaneous? Sometimes it may lead you to a new adventure.

The best times in life are usually random, unplanned and completely spontaneous.

Have you tried slow travel yet?

Zara coat
Zara oversized knit
Uniqlo down jacket
Zara skinny jeans
Nike sneakers
Camelia Roma bag
Acne Studios scarf

1. May March 12, 2018 / 7:36 pm

I think I’m guilty too. I feel like in past years, I wanted to travel to as many places I could without really getting to know the place. Nowadays, I think I’m more for the slow travel. Taking time to relax and enjoy my time off. Also, I definitely know what you mean about planning every detail! I literally have spreadsheets on spreadsheets! Trying this year to be more spontaneous.

March 14, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Hi May, thank you so much for stopping by! Haha yes, I think everyone should try slow travel at least once in their lives. You might find things you never knew it was there! :)

March 14, 2018 / 8:46 pm

Thanks Dom! I think everyone should try slow travel at least once in their lives :) xx

2. coatandcoffee March 12, 2018 / 11:58 pm

I will be engaging in ‘slow travel’ on my next trip! Should be an interesting change! Haha

-Emily http://www.coatandcoffee.com

March 14, 2018 / 8:47 pm

Yayy high five!! You may find things you never knew they were there! x

3. B.E.O. March 13, 2018 / 7:10 am

Oh yes! I totally agree with you. In my last summer trip, I wanted to see everything in a few days and I ended up having to take a break from the trip and relax. I learned the lesson then. Quality over quantity, and try to live the experience instead of only seeing things and places.

March 15, 2018 / 11:02 am

Thank you Blessing! Yes, sometimes it’s better to choose one or two places you want to visit instead of all of them :) Thank you for stopping by! Hope you are having a lovely week so far! x

March 15, 2018 / 11:23 am

Thanks Hillory! Ohhh that’s awesome, I hope you will be able to enjoy it more! Have fun in Pareeeeee! xx

March 14, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by, Nina! Truly appreciated it :) x

4. karasclosetblog March 15, 2018 / 7:49 pm

I love the idea of slow travel! Quality over quantity is so important when traveling. Often times the best trips are the more relaxed, go with the flow types of trips. Also I love all the photos you took! x

x Kara | http://karascloset.net/

March 20, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Thank you so much Kara! xx

5. stylewich March 15, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Every time I read one of your thoughtful posts, it strikes me how wise you are! Young and beautiful and still so very wise Vivian! In my twenties and thirties before kids, I used to be a fan of action-packed travel. We would fly to New York for a weekend, never sleep and tour the city in a whirlwind. At this stage in my life, slow travel sounds like the perfect pace for me. My idea of a vacay is a pretty street corner somewhere, sipping a hot beverage and taking my time eating a pastry. :) Hope you’re having a nice week love!

Love, Liz | stylewich.com

March 20, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Ahh you’re so kind! Thank you Liz :) I used to be a fast travel person too. I never wanted to skip an activity, because time was so limited! But now I’m more like why wouldn’t I? There’s a reason why we call a vacation ‘a vacation’ :) Haha we’re so alike! My ideal vacay is also strolling through the streets, taking a break, enjoying my cup of coffee, observing people, chitchatting etc. Sounds perfect right? :) xx

6. jane March 16, 2018 / 2:27 am

I believe on this statement.
    Everyone should slow things down not only in travelling.

Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

March 20, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Hope you are having an amazing week so far! x

March 20, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Yay high fiveee! Glad we’re on the same page :) Hope you’re having a lovely week Atsuna :) xx

March 20, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Yaaay! Thanks beautiful! x

7. kirstenwendlandt March 19, 2018 / 5:11 am

Ah girl this post resonates with me so much! My last trip was a hectic jaunt around Europe and although it was fun I much prefer the slow trips. So much more relaxing!

xox Kirsten // http://www.kirstenwendlandt.com

March 20, 2018 / 1:41 pm

Hahah I know exactly what you mean Kirsten! Glad we’re on the same page :) Happy Tuesday!

8. Jessica March 20, 2018 / 8:35 am

So cozy and fab! Love the matching scarf and coat dear. And yes, I’d pair that would those Nikes too.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

March 20, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Thank you so much Jessica! Hope you are having a lovely week so far :) xx