DIY :: Mother’s Day hand lettered mug

Happy Monday!

Mother’s Day is around the corner! What will you be doing in order to show your mom how much you love her?

This year, Mother’s Day has an extra-special meaning to me. I have not only the most wonderful mom of the world, but I also have a very lovely mother-in-law. Seriously, I’m not the easiest person to live with..I’m definitely not the perfect daughter/daughter-in-law, but I’m fortunate to have two amazing moms who are really thoughtful. And oh, this is going to be my very first Mother’s Day as a mom! Can you believe it?! I simply can’t wait to spend this special day with my family :)

If you ask me what gift you should give for the most important person(s) in your life, I would say a personalized gift. For those who have been reading my blog for a while, know how much I love DIYs. For me, a personalized gift means so much more. So why not give your mom a personalized hand lettered mug? I know, it may be an oldie, but hey it’s a goldie. It’s simple, fun and I’m sure you’ll put a smile on your mom’s face :)

Alright, let’s get started! (Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see what supplies you’ll need)

Step 1

Sketch sketch sketch. It’s important to know what design you’d like to have on the mug. Grab a piece of paper and start sketching.

Step 2

Once you’re satisfied with your design, it’s time to write it down on the mug. Use a permanent glass & porcelain marker to do this. Don’t worry if you make mistakes. You can simply rinse it off (if it’s not already dry) and start all over again.

Step 3

Make your mug look more elegant by simply drawing some leaves around the text.

Step 4

Decorate the ear of the mug for a playful touch. Once you’re done, let the design dry for at least 1-2 hours.

Step 5

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Bake the mug for at least 90 minutes. Let it cool in the oven after 90 min with the door open.

Et voilà!

Your personalized mug for mom is done!

Happy Mother’s Day!

Product details
Mug
Glass & porcelain pens
–> (black: fine tip; silver: 2 mm tip)

Pencil
Sheets of paper
Oven

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope you’ll like it! Until next time,

1. WhatWouldVWear May 1, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Aww! I just love this V! You did an amazing job with the mug! You are so talented and your little boy is just the cutest! Wish we lived closer so we could have a play date! Sending you and your family much love your way!
    Happy Monday, babe!
    xoxo, Vanessa

• Vivian Tse May 12, 2017 / 6:31 pm

Thank you so much V! You’re the sweetest! Happy Mother’s Day! :) xox

2. Colovibes May 2, 2017 / 4:16 pm

For real you never stop to amaze me!! It is such a nice mug!! And that last pic with you baby is super cute!!!! How is everything going?? Hope that great!!
    Xo

• Vivian Tse May 12, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Hi Heidi, sorry for my late reply! But thanks for your lovely comment, it really made me smile :) So far everything has been going well..Aiden is already 6 weeks old! Can you believe it? He had his first check-up yesterday and he has grown so quickly! How about you? There’s only one month left right? I’m so excited! Please keep me posted! xo

3. mcr May 4, 2017 / 2:45 pm

Vivian,
    This is so pretty and creative. Love how simple it is to make also! Your little baby is adorable, by the way!

Love, Mary

• Vivian Tse May 12, 2017 / 6:46 pm

That’s so kind of you! Thank you so much, Mary! Happy Mother’s Day :)

4. Wow you’re so creative Vivian! I need some of that artsy knack though most of the time I just end up buying things that can be easily self-made :). And happy 4+ weeks old to Aiden! How’s it like having him with the parents, I bet they pamper him like nothing else right hehe :). Well wishing you and your family a soon to be awesome weekend ahead, and hope that the recovery process is going well too! Take care Vivian! Xo~ Lena

• Vivian Tse May 12, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Hi Lena, sorry for my late reply! But thank you so much for your lovely comment! It really made me smile :) Everything has been going well so far. I’m fully recovered and Aiden is adorable! He had his first check-up yesterday and he has grown so quickly :D Thanks for asking, I really appeciate it :) Wishing you a lovely Mother’s Day weekend gorgeous! xo

5. Chanel May 5, 2017 / 5:38 am

Such a beautiful idea Vivian. Congratulations on Aiden, hope you’re enjoying mother hood!

x, Chanel | Je M’appelle Chanel

• Vivian Tse May 12, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Thank you so much Chanel! You’re the sweetest! Happy Mother’s Day :) xo

6. stylewich June 1, 2017 / 11:57 pm

LOVE the sweet photo of you and Aiden. I didn’t realize you are an artist as well! You make it look so easy to make a beautiful personalized gift and I hope to try this soon. Maybe a father’s day gift for my honey since that one is coming up! :P

xo Elizabeth