How to get wavy hair

I’ve always wanted to have curls. As a teenager, I was so jealous of my classmates who had beautiful, thick curls. At the age of 22, my best friend and I went on vacay together. We went to a hair salon as we wanted to get permanent loose waves. At that time, I didn’t know my hair structure couldn’t handle all those waving, chemical lotions. Too bad my waves disappeared right after I blow-dried my hair the other day. I couldn’t believe it! So I went to another hair salon to ask for advice and I’ve been told I actually couldn’t get permanent waves as my hair will be too ‘heavy to carry’ waves. I decided to chop off my long hair as my hair felt damaged after the bad perm. Oh and, I promised myself I’d never ever EVER get a permanent again..

Thankfully there’s another way to get loose waves without getting a perm. So today I’d like to share a hair tutorial with you! Let’s create some romantic, beach waves in less than 20 minutes!

Step 1

First, always protect your hair from the heat. Use a heat protector spray.

Step 2

Then, part your hair. I’d like to part my hair down the middle.

Step 3

Start with the bottom section of your hair.  I’d like to seperate my hair into three parts: bottom-middle-top. Tie the rest of your hair in a bun or ponytail.

Step 4

Grab a small section of hair and wrap it around the wand in random directions. Hold it for 6 seconds. Make sure you’ll do the same at the back. You don’t need to curl each section of hair perfectly, you want to create that ‘I woke up like this’ hair look.

Step 5

Once the bottom section is done, move on to the middle section. Grab the middle section of hair and tie the top of your hair again. Now this might be a bit tricky. Make sure you curl your hair away from your face for a more natural look.

Step 6

As for the top section, repeat step 5. Don’t forget to curl the front sections of your hair away from your face!

Step 7

You’re halfway there! In order to add more texture to your hair and to get rid of the curls that look too perfect, use sea salt spray.

Step 8

Squeeze, scrunch, massage your hair for a loose, wavy look. Do not brush your curls out with a comb! Use your fingers instead. Make sure to do this carefully.

Step 9

This step is optional. But if you have thick hair like me, you can use a hair spray so it can help your waves to stay in place for a longer time.

Et voilà!

Here’s the final look! You might find some sections that still look too perfect. If this is the case, gently use your fingers to brush the curl out.

How do you curl your hair?

Products details
Andrélon Pink Collection Heat Protect Spray
Schwarzkopf Styliste Ultîme Sea Salt Beach Look Texture Spray
Toni & Guy Glamour Firm Hold Hairspray
Remington curling wand CI95

1. LENPARENT March 27, 2017 / 7:01 pm

omg I love your gorgeous hairstyle! This products sounds amazing!
    So perfect as always! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you are having a good week so far.
    much love, Len

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:29 pm

That’s so sweet of you, thanks Len! Have a great weekend! Xo

2. wendee March 27, 2017 / 8:03 pm

the curls look gorgeous

Wendee//www.theglossychic.com

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Valerie! Glad you found it useful! :) xo

3. THE WɅNDΞRLISTE💫 (@thewanderliste) March 28, 2017 / 2:50 am

This is insightful Vivian! I’ll have to keep a mental note of the sea salt spray; many times I end up like I’m going to the prom (funny yes that was over a decade ago lol) so this would be very helpful to get that beautiful beach-wavy hair! Thanks for the tip hun! Happy new week! xo~ Lena

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Hi Lena, I know exactly what you mean! I also ended up with prom curls before I used this method:) Using the right hair styling products definitely can help you to create those beautiful beach waves! Hope you’re having a great week so far! xo

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:36 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Glad you found it useful! Yay to sea salt spray! xo

4. Mitzie Mee March 28, 2017 / 10:33 am

I also wanted curly hair when I was younger, and I went through the same traumatizing perm experience as you did :) Nice waves!

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Heyy Mitz!! I’ve missed you! How have you been doing lately? :) Hope all goes well with you & the xoxo team!! Please send my regards to the girls! xo

• Vivian Tse March 30, 2017 / 6:39 pm

Awww how sweet! Thanks for your lovely comment C!! Hope you’re having a great week so far! xo

5. Doreen's Style Diary April 1, 2017 / 9:25 pm

My hair is super straight so I always wanted to have curly hair. I went through the same bad perm experience as you did. Love this tutorial. Your curls are gorgeous.

6. Lizzy April 3, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Gorgeous hair, Vivian! I love the routine! I actually have wavy/curly hair and straighten it. Go figure! ;-)